Monday, March 27, 2006

Nosferatu

I have a new favourite film.

I love old films; ones that were made when it wasn't about making a lot of money and there was still an art to capturing a story onto film.

One of my favourites is Un Chien Andalou, probably the best example of french avant-garde film. It was made in 1928, but does not seem so with its clever effects.

But last night I saw a screen of a very old film entitled 'Nosferatu'. As it is my last week here before I head home I thought I'd treat myself to a ticket. I'd heard of Nosferatu before in high-brow conversations and had seen footage from it but this was the first time I had seen the whole masterpiece. It was the second horror film ever made and probably one of the first breaches of copyright as it totally plagriarises Bram Stoker's Dracula. Harker is Hutter, Renfield is called Knock and the famous character of Dracula is renamed Count Orlock.

Made in 1922 and can still give someone the creeps.

I'm going to try and get a copy.

1 Comments:

Blogger D. Valardi said...

Old films frighten me. They don't even have to be horror. There's just something about the grainy black and white look that's discomforting. But I intend to watch this someday, because it is a classic. Uhm, will you watch with me? Hehe.

3:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home