Monday, February 13, 2006

Evolution

Hints come in a wide variety of forms. You may receive one while watching a quiet play about a man who killed his brother to gain access to a vast fortune. You may receive one while in a race around the world. You may even receive one while eating muffins. To be specific, blueberry muffins that were missing the blueberries.

While on the bus into town I noticed a bakery that boasted it made the 'Best Cantarned Blueberry Muffins In the World'. Now usually I wouldn't care much about this, but to wake up in an unknown place with nothing but a box of blueberry muffins...well I'm sure you can tell I was suspicious.

So that is where I went last night. I packed my bag and took the long, dark, silent walk to the bakery I noticed. At that time of night it was still closed, but I knew that in a few hours the baker would arrive to start doing what he does best, which apparently is making blueberry muffins. If I do say so myself, I didn't think they were that great, even taking into account that they were missing the blueberries.
I arrived and took a look around the outside, but it was empty. There was a house behind it though, and curiously, it had its front door hanging wide open. There even seemed to be strange noises coming from inside.

There are occasions when one should have a small knife in one's hand, and for me, this was one of those occasions, so I got mine out of my bag as I gingerly walked in through the front door. The place looked like it had only recently been ditched, that is, someone had gathered up all they could and left in hurry, possibly because they had been alerted to the presence of a man who they had stolen the identity from.

I could still hear the noise. It was coming from one of the far rooms, a sort of whimpering.
It turned out I didn't need the knife after all. The cause of the noise was a starved dog, chained to the floor by a big nail sticking right out of one of the floorboards. He didn't seem too threatening, so I checked his collar for a tag.
'Evolution'.
Well that certainly is a good name for a dog, even if it is a bit of a mouthful. I unchained him. This seemed like enough snooping for one night, so I took the dog with me and snuck him back into my room at Ted's parent's house.

I think I'll just call him Evo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelin said...

Evo. Not a bad name.

12:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home